This one's been in the hibernation pile for a good while now. I'd started back in August 2008 - it was going to be my Ravelympics sweater (cast on during the Olympic opening ceremony; cast off by closing ceremony). I'd made a pretty good effort and just needed to knit the buttonband and then finish. But picking up stitches, and finishing in general, tend to be my least favourite parts of knitting, so it had been tucked away in my yarn cubbies.
It wasn't until I realised that I don't yet have a sweater completed for May's NaKniSweMoDo that I decided this would be a quick solution. (Technically you don't have to complete a sweater every month but I know myself well enough that if I don't there'd be little chance of completing 12 sweaters in the year).
I am thankful to have the nudge of the NaKniSweMoDo challenge - sewing the sleeves on seemed to be more problematic than I'd anticipated. The pattern was written with a little gathering at the top of the shoulder. I was trying to avoid excessivly poofy shoulders and instead ended up with poofy armpits the first time round! Erm, yes, not a look the best of us can pull off. It took me several attempts to make the sleeves sit to my liking, and if I hadn't committed to finishing this for KAL it probably would have been returned to it's former home, never again to see the light of day.
But all's well that ends well - I'm really happy with the cardi. In fact I'm thinking it could be one of my handknit faves so far.
- Pattern: Geno by Marie Wallin from Rowan 43
- Yarn: Rowan 4-ply soft (instead of Rowan 4 ply cotton as is used in the original pattern)
- Size: 34
- Needles: US 2 and US 3
- Cast on: Aug 8, 2008
- Completed: May 30, 2009
- Mods: None (that I can recall)