Thursday, October 08, 2009

Little Lady (Cheerleaders?) Dress

A few weeks ago I picked up my first skein of yarn for BOB - it's a beautiful String Theory 'Casper Sock' yarn. I thought it was really pretty and figured it would work for a boy, or a girl. I brought it home to show Joe and he loved it too - it is a colour used by the Miami Dolphins, his favourite football team (erm, yes sweetheart that's exactly what I was thinking when I picked it out! ;o)

It sat in my cubbies for a bit while I was trying to decide what I'd make. During that time I had a couple of scans and found out that BOB is going to be a healthy little lady. Ooh so many pretty choices when knitting for little girls. I've admired the 'Little Sister's Dress' projects I've seen and thought this would be the perfect travel project for my trip to the East coast last week - it's small, portable and knit in the round.


The pattern is darling and I'm tickled with the end result. To make 'Dad' even happier I added a single crochet trim of orange (the other colour from the Miami Dolphin's kit) to the neckline and to create the buttonholes. And also found these cute orange flower buttons that matched the yarn perfectly. This final touch makes it pop and adds a fun girly twist to the dress.


So there you have it, little lady's first Cheerleading outfit. (Although, technically she's not scheduled to arrive until after the season is over.)

Pattern: Tora Froseth's 'Little Sister's Dress'
Size: 3 month
Yarn: String Theory Casper Sock (Green/Aqua), and Mama Blue Troika Sport in Poppy (Orange).
Mods: None

***Edited to add: I only used 1 skein of the string theory sock yarn and still have some left over. But this could be because I did not hold the yarn double as the pattern suggests - I just knit with a single strand.***

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yayyyy, a baby girl! There will be so many cute things to knit for her! I am so excited for you two! LOVE the little dress you knit! Colors are great!

Judy said...

This is going to be just the best dressed little girl in town.

Susan Luni said...

Totally adorable. I can see you're going to enjoy knitting for your little girl.

Donna said...

That little dress is so adorable. You're lucky, there are a lot of cute projects for little girls.

Oiyi said...

Baby girls are so much more fun to knit for! Hurray!!! The dress is darling and the colors are wonderful.

Lisa Stepi said...

That is so cute - love the colors!

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely adorable. And the little frog on the hanger is quiet cute too!

Anonymous said...

Little BOB will look gorgeous in this. x

Emma said...

Such a pretty little dress, and the contrast edging is a really nice touch!

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

What an adorable dress! Love the contrast yarn and buttons :) How fun that you get to knit for a little girl!

Shrinkie said...

oh so stinkin' cute! Did you use only one skein? And was the yarn doubled like the pattern says? Just trying to work out how much yarn to order to make one of these lovelies!!

tiennie said...

That's too adorable!!

Rima said...

This is soooo adorable! OMG. I want to make a grown-up version for myself! Hehe.

moo said...

I have three daughters and three granddaughters. Daughters are good! So are sons. We have two grandsons and they are equally awesome!

marycatharine said...

So cute! I love that you managed to work in the sports angle without sacrificing any of the girly factor :)