Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rowan Geno

I just completed Geno for my NaKniSweMoDo (Knit a Sweater a Month in 2009) May sweater.

Geno

This one's been in the hibernation pile for a good while now. I'd started back in August 2008 - it was going to be my Ravelympics sweater (cast on during the Olympic opening ceremony; cast off by closing ceremony). I'd made a pretty good effort and just needed to knit the buttonband and then finish. But picking up stitches, and finishing in general, tend to be my least favourite parts of knitting, so it had been tucked away in my yarn cubbies.

It wasn't until I realised that I don't yet have a sweater completed for May's NaKniSweMoDo that I decided this would be a quick solution. (Technically you don't have to complete a sweater every month but I know myself well enough that if I don't there'd be little chance of completing 12 sweaters in the year).

Geno

I am thankful to have the nudge of the NaKniSweMoDo challenge - sewing the sleeves on seemed to be more problematic than I'd anticipated. The pattern was written with a little gathering at the top of the shoulder. I was trying to avoid excessivly poofy shoulders and instead ended up with poofy armpits the first time round! Erm, yes, not a look the best of us can pull off. It took me several attempts to make the sleeves sit to my liking, and if I hadn't committed to finishing this for KAL it probably would have been returned to it's former home, never again to see the light of day.

But all's well that ends well - I'm really happy with the cardi. In fact I'm thinking it could be one of my handknit faves so far.

Geno

Details:
  • Pattern: Geno by Marie Wallin from Rowan 43
  • Yarn: Rowan 4-ply soft (instead of Rowan 4 ply cotton as is used in the original pattern)
  • Size: 34
  • Needles: US 2 and US 3
  • Cast on: Aug 8, 2008
  • Completed: May 30, 2009
  • Mods: None (that I can recall)

19 comments:

Bea said...

Very cute! I'm glad you finished something for May. I've been really impressed with your sweater a month so far. Such pretty and interesting patterns.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Love it and the fit is prefect! Great job, my friend! :)

Susan Luni said...

Golly, gosh, wow, that is lovely. Beautiful sweater, fabulous color, great photos. Your effort on the sleeve cap was worth it, it is such a cute effect.

peaknits said...

What a gorgeous sweater - wow! It looks professional - job well done!

WandaWoman said...

This sweater is great. Love the color and fit. I love this sweater. I agree that it might be one of your favorites. It's one of my mine and I don't even own it!

marycatharine said...

It's so pretty! It looks like the perfect summer sweater.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely and fits you so well. Just right with the skirt too. x

amanda said...

I wa swondering what had happened to this - i remember you picking it as your Ravelympics project and thinking you were bobkers! :D

it was worth the wait - it looks so good on you. Really nice teamed with that skirt too.

Oiyi said...

Poofy armpits made me laugh! I love the final cardigan. It's beautiful! It looks like you can wear this one a lot.

betty said...

That's a great looking sweater! I would never have considered knitting this one until I saw yours

Betsy said...

Sam, the sweater is beatiful! Love the color!

Stacey said...

Another stunning handknit! Love it Sam! :)

tiennie said...

That is really gorgeous on you!

Emma said...

Pretty! It looks great on you, and seems like something you could get a lot of wear out of during the summer months.

Joanne said...

What a beautiful sweater!

bobbi said...

WOW!!!! what a great sweater. and good job matching it up with that skirt.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Beautiful sweater, Sam! It looks great on you and I love the color :)

Lisa Stepi said...

The sweater's so cute and looks like it'll be perfect for spring/summer.

Kristina Knits said...

I love love love love it!!!!