Monday, April 07, 2008

Elizabeth Zimmerman (February) Baby Sweater

I am so very happy with how the baby sweater turned out:




  • Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmerman's (February) Baby Sweater on Two Needles from Knitter's Almanac
  • Yarn: Sundara's superwash merino sock yarn in 'Magnolia' (from last year's Petal's collection)
  • Needles: US 3
  • Modifications: Pattern calls for a gauge of 5 stitches per inch, but I had received artistic direction* to use this yarn and was getting a gauge of 7 stitches per inch. I didn't want to go up a needle otherwise the fabric would have been too 'airy' for my liking, so instead of casting on the suggested 50, I cast on 71 (the amount of stitches you'd have after the first round of increases). And after the last set of increases around the yoke I added a couple of extra rows of garter stitch. Oh, and I only added buttonholes at the top of the sweater, instead of all the way down the front.

*Joe likes to joke with me about the lack of accolades on my blog for his artistic direction. So here it is folks: I started with the cute dress and knew that I wanted to make this cardigan to go with it. So I raided the stash to see what would work and laid the various skeins of wonderful Sundara yarn next to the dress. But I was having a devil of a time choosing. It was Joe who swooped in and immediately pointed out this one (after I'd sent a good amount of time umming and aahing, then umming some more). I think he made a good choice. ;o)

***EDITED TO ADD***
Shelley had asked:
I have got myself confused from the bit that reads at 4.5", work 25 stitches (in pattern?) and cast on 7 at each end of them (14 in total?) and what is the best way to add them at the end...


Unfortunately there was no return email address, so Shelley I hope you find this here:

  • work 25 stitches in pattern
  • cast of 7 stitches at each end of each sleeve (14 in total for each sleeve)
  • at the beginning of the sleeve I used a knitted cast on to add 7 stitches (see 'Knitting on' video on this page).
  • at the end of the sleeve I used a backward loop cast-on to add the other 7 stitches to the other side of the sleeve (see 'Single cast-on' cast on video on this page. ...and I agree that the first row of knitting can be tricky after casting on in this way, but after that it's fine.)
Hope that helps,
Sam

18 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow, you finished that fast. It is SO pretty!

Bubblesknits said...

That turned out beautiful! My FIL's daughter is due with her first in June and I think that would be a beautiful baby shower gift!

Sorry I'm having to contact you through your comments. Wordpress updated their site and it's messing with my comments. It seems a lot of people are having trouble with different things. Anyhow, thanks again for the Tiny Sock! :-)

Bea said...

eee...so so cute. I love it! He made a really good choice. Also good that he is involved with the fiber stuff. Chris is cool with the yarn buying and will make a decision about what I am going to use for his socks but then he doesn't want to be involved at all!

Susan Luni said...

That is cute! I love the combo.

Anonymous said...

You did a great job and it is a perfect match! What a great baby gift, she (mom) will love it!!

WandaWoman said...

I'm giving Joe a great big heads up! Many accolades to Joe! Heehee. Very cute sweater and you finished it so quickly. It goes perfectly with the dress and I like your modifications to the pattern too.

Denise said...

That looks so cute. Well done Joe for leading you in the right direction ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful set! You knit it real quick too. Love the cute coat hanger.
Well done Joe!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sam! Wow, that's beautiful. The color is perfect. Sometimes when I can't decide on colors, I ask my husband too and he gives good advice! Hope to see you soon.

Stacey said...

Wow...you totally finished that sweater in no time! You are one fast knitter! I love it...maybe I need to give you some yarn to knit the baby stuff that I have planned for my niece. That way it will get done before she grows out of it!

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

The sweater is adorable!!! It looks so cute with the dress and little hanger :)

Great yarn choice, Joe!

Terri Lynn said...

Nice mods, will take note! The sweater is so very sweet! I found out yesterday my daughter is having a girl in August, I think she needs one of these!!!!

michaele said...

I love those buttons! super cute all around.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Your sweater turned out so pretty and adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hi, It looks lovely, I am attempting to knit it too. I have got myself confused from the bit tht reads at 4.5", work 25 stitches (in pattern?)and cast on 7 at each end of them (14 in total?) and what is the best way to add them at the end... see how confused I am. If you have any help to offer, I would really appreciate it! Thanks Shelley

Sam said...

Hi Shelley, unfortunately I have no way of contacting you - the post provides me no links. If you happen to check back and read this comment, please email me at samanthacsandoval@hotmail.com. I'd be happy to help :)

Amy said...

This is so sweet! I hope you don't mind me asking a question so long after you finished the sweater, but I'd also like to do one of these in sock yarn. You mention that you cast on 71 stitches... and did you then perform the same number of increases, ending up with more than the listed 148? (This is the only way it makes sense to me; I just wanted to make sure.)

Thanks in advance!

Anna said...

I found this post after I Googled EZ's February Baby Sweater. I understand you posted this along time ago , but I hope you can help me. I am making this and want to be clear regarding the 4.5" measurement. Is it 4.5 from the start of the sweater or 4.5" from when the lace pattern starts? Thank you.