Sunday, January 05, 2014

Infinity scarf

So here we are - the 12th day of Christmas, and my 12 days cross stitch is not complete (as hoped).  It is looking beautiful though.
My goal was far too aggressive (read unrealistic), even with a couple of days cooped up at home with a poorly girl, and snowy weather. (Poorly girl much better after a restful few days and much loving attention from her big brother who is visiting this week).

What was needed this afternoon was an instant gratification project to make me feel like I had completed something over the Christmas break:  an infinity scarf.

model #1
This version is inspired by some that I had seen at Treelotta - a favourite local fabric store.
Essentially it is the combination of:
(Aren't they gorgeous!)

Materials needed:
  • 24inches of a pretty voile fabric (what would have been better still would be 2 complementary fabrics of 12 inches each). Note that the voile was 53" wide - this becomes the circumference of your scarf (I wouldn't go any shorter than this if you want to wear the cowl doubled up).
  • 106 inches (2x width of fabric) pom pom trim
materials needed

General directions:
  • Iron fabric, trim the edges and cut into 2 pieces (you will have 2 pieces that are ~12" x 53")
  • Take first piece of fabric and, with right side facing, baste the pom pom trim to the long/53" edges of the scarf (both sides), with pom poms pointing toward center of the fabric
  • basting the pom poms

    pom poms attached
  • Take second piece of fabric and pin to first, with right sides together
  • sewing the 2 pieces together
  • Using a zipper foot to get up to the edges of the pom poms, sew both of the long edges of the scarf together
  • You now have a big ole tube that you need to turn right side out
  • I followed the Cottage Mama's directions for joining the ends together
  • And you are done: Instant gratification!
Finished infinity scarf

Model #2

Hope you have had a good weekend and are staying warm, safe and healthy,
Sam xxx

2 comments:

Katiebee said...

thanks for the tutorial~ super cute models!

happy weekending sam~

xo

katie

Wens said...

I LOVE this scarf Sam! I need to make one. I have so many lovely fabrics I don't want to cut too, I think a scarf would be the perfect way to show it off (and be able to touch it all the time without looking like a weirdo, I can't help but stroke Liberty :) )