- Yarn: Koigu Kpm
- Needles: US3 dpns
- Pattern: My own 'basic recipe'
- Start: December 2007
- Finished: January 2008
Handknit socks are a big hit with the men in my life. And even though there are many beautiful patterns out there, it seems that the men folk I know just want a basic sock. Nothing fancy. So here's my basic recipe for men's socks (foot size approx US 9=10, UK 8ish).
***Note that this is from memory - if you see any errors, please let me know.***
Basic sock recipe:
- Size 3 dpns
- 350yds (320m) sock yarn
- Cast on 64 stitches, divide between your needles
- Work in the round for approx. 64 rows (In the example above I use a 2x2 rib pattern; K2, P2)
- Put 32 stitches on one needle - you'll work these stitches back and forth for the heel flap as follows
- Row 1 (wrong side): Slip 1 purlwise, Purl to the end of the row
- Row 2 (right side): Slip 1 purlwise, K1, slip 1, K1, slip 1, K1... repeat this pattern to the end of the row
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 until heel flap measures about 2 3/4 inches (approx 35 rows), ending after a row 1/purl row
Turning the heel:
- Row 1: Knit 18 sts, ssk, K1. Turn work leaving remaining 11 sts unworked
- Row 2: Slip 1, Purl 5 sts, P2tog, P1. Turn leaving remaining 11 sts unworked
- Row 3: Slip 1, Knit to 1 stitch before the gap, ssk, K1, turn
- Row 4: Slip 1, Purl to 1 stitch before the gap, p2tog, p1, turn
- Repeat rows 3 and 4 until you have no stitches left unworked on both the knit and purl row
- Pick up 20 stitches up side of heel flap (needle 1), work across the top of the sock in pattern (needle 2), pick up 20 stitches down other side of heel flap (needle 3). I arrange half of my turned heel stitches on needle 1; half on needle 3. We'll be back to working in the round now.
- Row 1 (decrease): Knit to last 3 stitches on needle 1, K2tog, K1. Work needle 2 in pattern. On needle 3, K1, ssk, Knit to end.
- Row 2 (knit): Knit all stitches on needle 1. Work needle 2 in pattern. Knit all stitches on needle 3.
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 until there are 64 stitches on the needles
- Repeat gusset row 2 until foot measures desired length. (For my men folk this is approx 40 rounds)
- Row 1 (decrease): On needle 1, Knit to last 3 stitches, K2 tog, K1. On needle 2, K1, ssk, work in pattern to last 3 stitches, K2tog, K1. On needle 3, K1 ssk, knit to end.
- Row 2 (knit): Knit all stitches
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 until there are 32 stitches, then repeat row 1 another 2 times. 24 stitches left.
- Use the Kitchener stitch to close the toe
et Voila! You have yourself a simple sock.