Sunday, June 29, 2014

Quilty gifts

One of the really cool birthday gifts that I received this year was a mini quilt from Terrie:

S for Sam - fabby gift from Terrie

Isn't it pretty! This is going to take pride of place in my craft room.

I was really touched that Terrie had made this for me.  Her work is impeccable and fabric selection couldn't be more perfect. I am one very lucky girl.

Terrie shared this with me at last month's quilt guild meeting and there was much oohing and aahing from the quilt guild members, and the decision was made that we should have a swap of similar mini quilts using the initial of the first name of our swap partner. My swap partner is Wendy, and she shared that her favourite colour is green.  Here is W for Wendy. Front:

W for Wendy

The W fabric is from a line called sewing box, of which I had a layer cake. The design on this one is tape measures. I quilted along the tape measure lines to give them a little definition. The W template is from a Moda blog hop, called Spell it with Fabric, where each blogger is assigned a letter of the alphabet. The end result is pretty cool, and the templates are available for download in pdf format. Imagine the possibilities with this one - a child's name on a quilt, or a fun crafty statement on a mini quilt... Since I already have my initial letter, my swap partner will be making a letter for Naomi. I think Naomi is going to be so happy to have one of her very own as she is big into letters right now, especially those letters that form her name. I'll post a piccy next month, after the swap.

Since I'm rambling about quilty gifts, here's one that I made for another friend's birthday.  A reversible fabric bucket:

Reversible storage basket

Storage basket

Reversible storage basket

Isn't that cat fabric adorable!  It is catnap from Lizzie House.  The pattern is on the Birch Fabrics site: fabric buckets.  I made the large size, with a couple of modifications: instead of interfacing I used batting, and I added a pocket for storage of nik naks - scissors, dpns, you name it...

I need to make some of these for myself - so cute and extremely handy. I know that someone's toy cupboard might also benefit from better organization too :)

Hope you are having a lovely weekend,
Sam xxx

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. thanks for the link I shall have a go at making one. Your mods were a great idea.

Unknown said...

Love it! I need to pull out some more fabric and make some. I have been making drawstring bags for a church fundraiser, so these just might be another item to include.

Kim said...

I love that fabric bucket, too cute and so useful!

Your little photographer is getting so big! It seems like just yesterday I was cuddling with her at camp so you could get some knitting and visiting done. It goes by so fast :)

Nicky said...

You do really lovely work Sam.

Sam said...

Thanks Anita, these were fun and easy to make.

Sam said...

Yes! Your drawstring bags are really lovely too. Hope the fundraiser goes well.

Sam said...

I was thinking the same thing at camp this year. :) They grow so fast. I love watching her grow and develop (but do miss baby snuggles :))

Sam said...

Thanks Nicky xxx As do you my dear xxx