Friday, November 20, 2009

Bella's Mittens

Who went to see New Moon last night? What did you think?

I thought it was great! And the midnight showing had a really fun atmosphere with a bajillion teenage girlies in their pajamas. I think I'm well and truly in the minority routing for team Jacob. And Taylor Lautner... whoo he looked good. But as my stepson correctly pointed out, WAAAAAY too young for me LOL! We're thinking that Dwayne Johnson might make a more age appropriate substitute though (for me that is, not Bella. Pah!). Erm, er, sorry Joe... you know I only have eyes for you ;o)


Anyhoo, my dear friend that invited me is a major Twihard fan and so I thought it would be fun to make her a pair of the Bella's mittens that have been circling round blogland and ravelry.

There's a couple of free patterns out there and I chose Phenomenom by Carine Ancel (Ravelry link) because I really like the cross stitch type effect she's created on the palms. The yarn I used was Dream in Color Groovy, colourway Black Pearl. I needed 2 skeins. My first time using Dream in Color and I was really happy with it - nice and soft and held the stitch definition well. I especially liked the subtle change in tone from black to charcoal grey in this particuar colourway.


And if you are looking for some last minute Christmas knitting these could be just the ticket - each mitten took me about 2-3 evenings to complete.


They were well received by my dear Twihard friend yesterday evening. Which makes this knitter a very happy girl indeed :)

15 comments:

marycatharine said...

They look fantastic! That pattern on the palm is such a great touch. I haven't seen the movie yet and probably won't till it's out on DVD. Our theater didn't ever have Twilight, crazy I know.

Emma said...

I've seen these Bella's Mitts popping up everywhere, but it's all a bit lost on me because I know nothing of Twilight!

Having said that, the mitt's look great, and the cross stitchy palms are a nice feature. They also look incredibly warm!

Kim said...

I did! It was so much better than Twilight--I was very pleasantly surprised :) Oh, and I am very much Team Jacob.

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous Sam!! And I was right searching for a last-minute gift!! Thank you for this great idea!!

PS: how are you????

Bubblesknits said...

I went to see it yesterday with a friend of mine. We both felt like old pervs for gasping with delight when they first showed Jacob without his shirt on. LOL I told my friend that I'd officially crossed over to werewolf territory. Forget those vamps. ;-p

Love the mittens, btw.

Bea said...

Wow these are awesome. I haven't even seen twilight. I've read the books and Chris bought me the movie but I haven't watched it yet. Not sure what I've been waiting for.

Oiyi said...

They look awesome, especially in that colorway.

Anonymous said...

Really cute mittens! I wish I had seen this version because I love the stitch effect on the palms.

peaknits said...

I love the mittens!! I just queued them, thankyouverymuch!:) I am feeling a little more "Go Jacob" for this movie myself - he is such a decent kid in the movie - I had to remind myself his abs are only 17 years old - egads!

amanda said...

You must have moved into that "glowy, full of energy" 2nd trimestre then - no way I'd have stayed awake for a midnight showing of anything when I was preganant. Would have been snoring away for hours by then! :D

clumzybella said...

These are awesome. I am a Twicrack addict and might just make my mom make these haha. Check out my blog, please. Amazing idea for the bella mittens

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rima said...

Those are really beautiful! Your friend is so happy. She better be.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I just love these mittens, Sam! That really is a great pattern on the palm. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie! I really did too...much better than Twilight :)

Joanne said...

It seems like every knitter I see is knitting these mittens, and for good reason. They've very nice and yours look wonderful!!