Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day!

There have been a number of activities at Naomi's school this last week, most notably 'Tie Dye Tuesday'.  I decided that this would be a fun opportunity for Naomi and I to work on a craft project together.  I found this great tutorial for creating tie dye with Turmeric:  Natural Tie Dye Pillow from High on DIY.  We had everything we needed at home already so it was perfect! And the color that the turmeric creates is fabulous and sings that Spring is on the way!

Collage Tie Dye

This project was simple enough for a little one to work on (except the boiling part of course - that was my domain). She was delighted with the end result, and shared this as her 'Good thing' at school that day. By the way, I love that her school reinforces the idea of looking for the good in each day by encouraging the kiddos to share their 'good things' with the class.

A good thing for me: I took Friday off work to go to the zoo with my family. It seems people and animals alike had the same idea - it was a perfect day to be outdoors! We got to see some lion cubs, the bears, mountain sheep, etc. etc. and feed the lorikeets.  I loved seeing the bears, but feeding the lorikeets was the highlight of the day for Naomi and I.

Collage Lorikeet

Other good things - I splurged on some more yarn. This is 'high twist sock' from Pigeonroof Studios. I've yet to figure out what to make with this as there are only 240 yards. I could see possibly pairing with some other yarn in my stash and use this as a border on a shawl. Or maybe use on its own to make a hat. What are your thoughts?

High Twist Sock PRS

But for now, and in honor of the day, I will spend a little time on this Valentine's cross stitch from the Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery:

Valentines

Wishing you a wonderful Valentine's day!
Love
Sam
xxx

3 comments:

Nicky said...

Happy Valentine Day to you too Sam! I love the good things practice that Naomi has ... it's never to early to start thinking this way. And your cross stitch project is delightfully sweet. As for the yarn, a gradient hat seems perfect for it.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Naomi and her shirt are darling! I'm not s knitter so I don't have any brilliant ideas but a hot with those beautiful blues would be gorgeous. I love hats! Sweet stitching!

Unknown said...

What a cute little one and such a fun craft idea. My girls and I used to dye yarn with Kool-Aid when then were younger. Such fun memories.