I'm still wondering how that happened so quickly?
Anyway, her birthday provided me the perfect excuse to work on party gifts - monster bags:
These were so much fun to work on. Perhaps my most enjoyable project to date.
Inspiration came from the following places:
- Giggle and Squeak quilt from Such Designs
- Monster Art Totes from Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!
- Monster Coloring Tote from Done is Better than Perfect
- Simple Reversible Tote Bag from Skip to My Lou
I essentially followed the directions for the simple reversible tote, making the following small changes:
- I added a monster applique to the exterior fabric before assembling the tote
- I added interfacing to the exterior fabric to add some stability
- I purchased some soft canvas style ribbon instead of making handles
I started by selecting fabrics that looked 'monstery' :)))
My favourites are probably the batiks. But in truth I love them all.
These patterned fabrics were used for the monster, but also a matching interior for each tote.
The exterior fabric was a Kona beige that I had in my stash (that's right - this one was a good stashbuster!).
I wanted each monster to be different and enjoyed coming up with each design. Naomi and Joe both got involved on the design process too: What about fuzzy monsters? What about monsters with eyes on antennas? How about some with 1 eye and others with 2 or 3?
I'd also have Naomi help with layout before sewing the applique pieces in place: Where should the eyes go? Should we have horns? Where should they go?
And of course Naomi would add the crayons once all the other assembing had been done.
I think it made this extra special knowing that they were truly a team effort!
As each one was complete I'd hang them around my craft room. I sure do miss those cheery faces greeting me each morning. But am thrilled that they've gone to happy homes!
Naomi's favourite is the monster in the bottom right - purple with 3 eyes on stalks.
Do you have a fave?
Hope your week is going well?